Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fowey, Cornwall - view from Readymoney Road

I found this view on Google Maps, taking Bill Guffey's idea of painting from Google Map Street Views. 

I traveled virtually to Cornwall for nostalgic reasons.  To make a short story long, one of my favorite book series as a child was Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence.  During my student years, I was in London at the tail-end of a month-long youth-hosteling adventure about Europe with friends, and decided I would set out on my own and visit one of the "real" sites where the books take place.  I chose Trewissick, Cornwall, location for two of the books, as getting there seemed relatively straightforward.  I couldn't find it on a map (to date me, this was before the Internet was widely used to research such things), but thought this might be because it was just a small fishing village.  I took the British Rail to St Austell, mentioned in the books, asked around, only to find out that Trewissick didn't exist.  I know, it was dopey of me not to have considered that possibility.  I did the next best thing and wandered about St Austell and then found my way to the sea. 

At this point, I'm not sure if the nostalgia is more over the books or this goofy trip to St Austell.  In any case, I thought I would re-visit the area, at least virtually.  This particular view is in the neighboring village of Fowey, east of St Austell. 

1 October 2010
14" x 20", acrylic on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment